Founded in 1832 and the preserve of the then ruling British elite, our club was
a dominant institution and very much the center of social activity in the city.
The club established and maintained a wide variety of behavioural standards at that
time, and by and large much of that has been continued.
We moved to our present, and permanent abode, in 1963 after a merger of the original
Madras Club with the Adyar Club, which leased the lovely grounds and building, that
is now our wholly owned estate of about 13 acres. The club house, known as Moubrays
Cupola, was built in the 1780s